Complete one READ square by doing one thing to renew your interest in reading or to spice up your reading life.
Readers of all ages, interests, and skill levels sometimes have trouble generating enthusiasm to pick up a book. Maybe you are a young reader trying to gain skills, maybe you are a reader who hasn't found a book you truly enjoy yet, or maybe you are normally an avid reader who has lost the ability to concentrate on a story.
Regardless of what has caused your reading rut, try a few of these tips to get your reading spark firing again. Even if your reading pace has not flagged, use these tips to bring a fun twist to your reading life.
- Return to a book you love. Familiar stories can be revisited without the same level of energy required to start something new. An old favorite can also bring comfort during a stressful time.
- Explore a different format. Regardless of age or interest, there are picture books and graphic novels available for every level; a visual story might be more engaging. Or dive into an audio book and just embrace the sound of words.
- Grab a book of poems. Ranging from silly to serious, poems or novels in verse use a more minimalist approach to language that might be appealing.
- Listen to music. Find something you like, and then learn about the artist using our biography collections or databases.
- Think of a place you'd like to GO or a new skill you'd like to LEARN. Find a book that will help you on your quest.
- Pair a book with a movie. Read and then watch, and then discuss with a friend or family member. Which did you like better?